Thursday, September 8, 2011

A Child's Prayer

I was snuggling my son before bed when he told me he wanted to pray silently, "in my heart." We both closed our eyes and he was quiet for a long time. Well after my mind started to wander, I peaked and saw that his eyes were still shut.
Convinced he had drifted off to sleep, I quietly asked if he was done. "Almost," he replied,  opening his eyes shortly thereafter.

Curious, I asked what he had been praying about. He responded that he had been praying, "for the children who don't have enough to eat in Burma, for Pandamania (Vacation Bible School), for the creation, and more, but I forget what else."

The little one sure had a lot to say! There is always more going on with our children spiritually then is readily apparent. It is so important that we ask them questions and nurture their faith.

I still remember, when my youngest and I were both frustrated after of a long day of potty training, his sweet, fervent little prayer while sitting cross-legged and bare-bottomed on the kitchen tile, hands folded and eyes squeezed tight: "Help please, Jesus!" 

Helping your child on their spiritual journey
Deuteronomy 6:7 reminds us that our faith is to be a natural part of life and something we earnestly share with our children.  Talk to your children about your own experiences and struggles with God.  Model prayer and instruct them with scripture. 

With young children, sing songs about God and read Bible Stories together.  With older children, remember to allow doubts and encourage their questions, as this is a normal and important part of the journey. 

Resources
For more ideas on faith building and praying for your kids, try the Family Nights Tool Chest by Heritage Builders, Power of a Praying Parent or Pray Big for Your Child: The Power of Praying God’s Promises for Your Child’s Life.

For information on the refugees and children of Burma, visit Partners Relief and Development.

No comments:

Post a Comment